Walls & Wallflowers
Definition of wallflower
1a : any of several Old World perennial herbs (genus Cheiranthus) of the mustard family; especially : a hardy erect herb (C. cheiri) widely cultivated for its showy fragrant flowers b : any of a related genus (Erysimum) of herbs with showy flowers
2a : a person who from shyness or unpopularity remains on the sidelines of a social activity (such as a dance)b : a shy or reserved person
It's late at night, after August rain, after Jeff and Oliver have fallen asleep.
"Good, Good Father" and "No Longer Slaves" by Shane & Shane plays softly through the computer speaker.
In a few minutes time will mark my 34th birthday.
And a common thread of thought weaves through my spirit, one of Bible stories and my story; and a theme about about walls. Instead of a tangled mess of random, barely-there, frayed, hanging-on threads I sense Him with golden threads of gentleness creating beautiful meaning.
when the walls of Jericho fell; in my life
when life left me vulnerable; and so He strengthened and rebuilt my walls, like the story in the book of Nehemiah.
and I remember;
how He never tires of nudging me away from my tendency to be like that of a wallflower in definition 2; standing on the sidelines for the wrong reasons; fear or timidity
but instead He constantly reminds me that I am made me to be a wallflower like in the first definition;
1a : any of several Old World perennial herbs (genus Cheiranthus) of the mustard family; especially: a hardy erect herb (C. cheiri) widely cultivated for its showy fragrant flowers b : any of a related genus (Erysimum) of herbs with showy flowers
- a perennial: this makes me think of being called to eternal and resurrected things; blossoming again in the spring over and over
- of a mustard seed: of faith that though at times starts small, has within it the power to move mountains
- hardy: But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
- showy: "He proclaimed the kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ--with all boldness and without hindrance!" Act 28:31"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." 1 John 4:18
- fragrant: "But thanks be to God, who always leads us triumphantly as captives in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him. For we are to God the sweet aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing" 2 Corinthians 2:14-15